It is understandable that you’ll get interested to an officemate because you spend more time in the office rather than your house. Co-workers are fun and potential flings. Just imagine the hours that you will be spending in the cubicle with a hot office girl. The temptation is stronger than you can handle if you put your guards down.
Office romance is quite controversial. There are a lot of companies who prohibit this practice for a lot of rational reasons. If you are contemplating on this, you better watch out for the good and the bad things before you get into it. Office romance is like a double edged-sword that may cut your heart and your future in a company.
“I got a crush on the new girl at the office. I think, she likes me but, I’m already married”
This is one of the greatest problems in an office romance. If you are married and you are just up for married dating, be sure that you will not get caught by your boss, your subordinates and other co-workers. These are the disadvantages you will get out of the having an office affair:
1. You’ll end up on the hot seat. You will be the meat in the office gossips. If you fall for an office worker, you’ll break your heart as well, as hers. It will not get any better if you are just up to it for sex.
2. You’ll lose your job. If the company policy prohibits office romance and office fornications. You can get caught red-handed. You can say bye-bye to your job. It is a lose-and-lose situation. If you do not leave, you have to endure a professional life in gossips.
3. Your marriage is in danger. Of course, after spending so many years in your post, there are co-workers who have definitely met and befriended your spouse. They can easily text your wife about your affair. You might lose your family without even knowing it.
4. Your authority may not be guarded as valid. If you are the boss and you are promoting an employee whom you have an office romance with. Your recommendation will be questioned by many. Especially those people who knows about your dirty little secret.
How are you going to prevent office romance?
When you see it coming, you have to make it stop. Self-control is a great virtue when it comes to committing an unfavorable affair. Here are some tactics on how to stop pursuing the office affair:
1. Think about the damage it will cause to your marriage. Either she is a kiss-and-tell kind of girl or you were seen by some officemates whom you did not notice in the room where you are making out. You are bound to publicize your life.
2. Your reputation is at stake. Do you really think that pursuing an office romance is worthy to make you lose your job? Or, lawsuit? If you are a boss and you like one of your subordinate, manifesting affection can be misinterpreted as sexual harassment.
3. Your future may not be as promising as it used to be before the office romance. If you lose the job that you love because of it, then you will end up regretting the far future. Not everyone is lucky enough to land on the company and the job they like all at the same time.
4. If you are planning to stay on your job for the rest of your productive life, just imagine the effect on your office relationship after the break up. Every relationship is prone to break up. It would be hard to work with someone whom you had a sexual relationship with that turned sour along the way.
How do you manage an office affair?
Sure. You cannot hide the sparkles in your eyes after succeeding an office romance. Perhaps, you have gone as far as sexual partners. Here are things that you should always remember:
1. Don’t smooch in the pantry or any places that you think you are alone. Hidden cameras are everywhere. Your co-workers can get in your way when you least expect it.
2. Closely monitor your social networking sites. It is not just about you and her. You also have common friends, bosses and other coworkers. The superiors may point out your office romance if you have become ineffective in your job.
3. Make sure that you prioritize your job and not your office romance. This way, your bosses will find no problem with your romantic set up.